The winged altar of the Liebfrauenkirche in Schotten represents one of the main works in late Gothic painting.
The Schotten Altar, as it is called in literature, is one of the most essential parts of the interior decoration of the Liebfrauen Evangelical Church of Our Lady. It is assumed that it was constructed around the year 1400. The open altar presents the life of Mary in eight panels. When closed, the altar is painted with eight events from the Passion story, but they are less well preserved (Krug 2016). The church itself, with its choir and transept, dates from around 1300. In later decades there were numerous replannings, which were due to influences from other larger churches, such as the Elisabeth Church in Marburg. The soft basalt tuff used as building material, which probably came from a nearby quarry, proved to be susceptible to weathering in the following centuries, so that numerous exterior renovations were necessary up to the present day.