Schotten - the city at the green volcano
Schotten - in the heart of the green volcano. Impressions, people, nature - arriving and enjoying. In the centre of the extinct volcanic area Vogelsberg - today covered by lush meadows, deep green forests and the typical Vogelsberg hedge landscape - lies the over 1230-year-old town of Schotten with its market and town rights and today's 15 districts. Read more
There is much to discover!
- Sailors and surfers have as much fun at the Nidda reservoir as anglers and campers.
- The medieval town centre is dominated by many impressive half-timbered buildings.
- More than 60 different exotic and native animal and bird species cavort in the bird park on more than 40,000 m².
- The Vogelsberg Local History Museum awaits visitors with the history of the house and the life and work of State Councillor Weber and his family (currently closed for renovation, as of January 2020).
- The Vulkaneum in the heart of the city shows the history of volcanism and the Vogelsberg.
- Embark on a historical tour of the Old Town of Schotten!
City of Schotten
- Old racetrack Schottenring (since 1925), Grand Prix on third weekend in August
- Newly designed Alteburgpark with the only waterfall in the Vogelsberg
- Bismarck tower
- Bonifatius fountain
- Adventure mountain Hoherodskopf
- Adventure paths Hoherodskopf
- Eschenrod Reservoir Tour (Premiumwanderweg, Extratour)
- Evangelical Liebfrauen-Church with altar of the Virgin Mary
- Half-timbered town hall (16th century 1512/1520)
- Summittour Schotten (premium hiking trail, Extratour)
- Hoehenrundweg (premium hiking trail, Extratour)
- Info Centre Hoherodskopf
- Nidda Cycle Route
- Nidda Reservoir
- Ski/cross-country skiing
- Bird park Schotten
- Vogelsberg local history museum Schotten
- Vulkaneum Schotten
- Vulkano ring Vogelsberg
- Natural monument "Alteburgskopf"
- Basalt summit Hoherodskopf
- Natural monument "Bilstein", Busenborn
- Natural monument "Gluckensteine", Betzenrod
- Natural monument "Felsblocke (Boulders) at Betzenrod" (before: Wildfrauhaus), Betzenrod
- Natural monument "Alter Steinbruch (Old quarry)", Eichelsachsen
- Natural monument "Sauborn", Kaulstoss
- Natural monument "Reipperts", Rainrod
- More geotopes